Addison Maine schools

 

SCHOOLS  - CHURCHES - LIBRARIES

 

SCHOOLS

 The first schools in Addison were held in private homes. Gradually the town established separate school districts. In 1855 there were 14 districts with additional pupils on Nash Island. There were one-room, one-teacher schools in several locations around the town. Some of them are still standing and being used for other purposes today. One example is the Basin School, that now is home to Basin School Crafts and Quilts. Eventually the S.S. Nash School and the Point School became the sole educational buildings in Addison.

In 1966, Addison consolidated with five other towns to form SAD#37.  Narragaugus High School on Rt.1 in Harrington served the whole district. In 1975 the D.W. Merritt Elementary School on Rt.187 was constructed for all students, K-8. It still serves as Addison's elementary school today.

To read the minutes to the MSAD 37 board meetings and for other information about the school district log on to www.msad37.org

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Churches Addison Maine churches

CHURCHES

 

The Union Church of South Addison
The Union Church is located on Mooseneck Road in the heart of the village of South Addison. It is a non-demoninational Christian church. Pastor Harold Tyler Jr. holds services on Sundays at 11:00 a.m. Sunday School is at 10:00 a.m. During the months of June, July, August and September there is a Supper on the third Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. All are welcome

Indian River Baptist Church
The Indian River Baptist Church was built in 1853 by architect Norman Ward. It is a historic wooden Italianate/Greek Revival structure located on Rt. 187 in the Indian River section of Addison. On June 23, 1988 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It is currently a privately owned property not used for religious purposes.

The Church on the Hill
The earliest recorded church structure in Addison was built in 1789 on the site of the present church and was called the Union Evangelical Meeting House. In 1825 the Addison Baptist Church Society was established and took over the building. During a heavy gale wind in 1839 the first church building was destroyed and a new building was completed the same year on the same site. The new larger church had a seating capacity of 600. The new church was struck by lightening in June of 1860 and was totally destroyed.
Funds were raised through contributions from the townspeople and the present structure was erected with the understanding that the building would be available to all denominations, though the Baptist Society had first right to use it. Baptist services were held there until 1951 when it closed. The building was reopened in 1976 with nondenominational services held. The last congregation to use the church was the Assembly of God. In 1996 the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Recently the last of the Assembly of God congregation signed the property over to The Friends of the Church on the Hill organization. Now the group can apply for grants to restore the church for non religious community use. The Friends of the Church on the Hill meet on the fourth Tuesday of the month. There is more historical information listed in the organizations section of this website.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Libraries Addison Maine library

LIBRARIES

Mayhew Library/Addison


MAYHEW LIBRARY   ADDISON

Mayhew Library The Mayhew Library called the “Addison Public Library” when it first opened on January 30, 1892, the library was renamed in 1897 to honor both Calista Wass Mayhew, the daughter of David and Hadassah Wass, and her husband, Francis L Mayhew, who had generously aided and supported its growth during its early years. The first library building was on the North Side of Water Street, in a building that also served as a shoe shop and telegraph office. The telegraph operator Minnie Wass, was the first librarian, while her brother, Frank N. Wass, ran a harness and shoe shop in the same building. In 1915 Calista Wass Mayhew purchased the building and the lot on which it stood, and gave it to the library association. In May 1938, the devastating fire at Addison Point destroyed the old Mayhew Library. Herbert and Ross Ward, who lost their house in the fire, donated their vacant lot to the library association. The present library building was erected on this site, opening to the public on December 20, 1939. It located on Water St. across from the fire station.

The library currently houses more than 3500 books, 200 video materials and 100 audio materials. There are also many historical documents. Several computers are available with internet access.

Library hours are Wednesdays 1-5 p.m., and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Contact information: Mayhew Library Association, PO Box 152, Addison ME 04606.

PEABODY MEMORIAL LIBRARY  JONESPORT

Addison residence are able to use several local libraries including the Peabody Memorial. This library contributes many programs to the local community such as music and art. The "Art in the Library" series is a self supporting program that was founded in 2006. It gives the artists of Jonesport, Beals and Addison a place to display and sell their art work. It also promotes the understanding and appreciation of the visual arts in our communities and stresses the importance of art in our lives and the lives of our children. The program expands and increases library usage and appreciation. Last but not least it has given the community the opportunity to see the resources available through the local artists and it serves to develop a communication between artists themselves.
For more information on the library: www.peabodymemorial.com

GALLISON MEMORIAL LIBRARY  HARRINGTON

The Gallison Memorial library is located at 1292 Main St.( Rt. 1) in the heart of Harrington. It houses about 6300 books with a large collection of audio and video materials. Hours are  Monday thru Friday 2:00 p.m.to 6:00 p.m. Contact: 483-4547

HOME  Town Office Information   Meetings/Minutes   Building Maintenance - Pics/Mtgs  Tax Information  Maps Town Ordinances and Comprehensive Plan  Permits/Licenses  Business Listing  Artist Listing  Recreational Land  Town Landings/Tide Charts Community Services and Organizations  Census Data   Social Activities  Addison Photos  Addison News